Forum OpenACS Development: Postgresql startup parameters?

Collapse
Posted by Ken Kennedy on

OK...I give. I CANNOT find the recommended values for sort_mem, shared_buffers, etc. I've looked in bboard, in the install docs, all over the place. My tester for bookmarks is getting FAR worse performance than I am, with far fewer bookmarks, and I trying to cover all the bases. Am I remembering a recommendation of 1000 for shared_buffers as correct? (vs. the default of 64)

And feel FREE to point me towards the correct file or bboard post...at least this one will get saved with 'shared_buffers' mentioned, and I can search for that and find it again...*grin*

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Try "-B 1000" for the shared buffer size.  This will eat 8 MB on your system and is reasonable for a test site.  For a production site you'd probably use a much larger value, since even homeless folks in Portland can afford 1 GB RAM these days (I'm not kidding, I know a guy who lives in the back of a pick-up truck who was a beta tester for MAC Darwin).

We need to update this information for our install documentation because
many of the parameters can be set much more nicely in a control file as of PG 7.1.

Collapse
Posted by Ken Kennedy on

Thanks, Don. That's what I was remembering. I do indeed like the new postgresql.conf file, it's great! (Thanks to the Debian postgresql package, I was using it w/o knowing it...*grin*).

Oh, and a general piece of info to others (I'm sure you already know this); 'show sort_mem;' and 'show shared_buffers;' both work from the psql command line. I'm used to this on Oracle, but I was pleasantly surprised with postgresql...

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I use this one for our live servers.  Is according to the tips of Don Bacus in one of the docs for installing OpenACS.

postmaster -o '-B 2000 -o -S2000

Our old config has -N (some number i forgot).  Is this useful?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
-N is the number of back ends, which defaults to 32.  Whether or not that's enough depends on the number of AOLserver threads and pool connections you configure.  I usually set -N high (say 100) then throttle the load via AOLserver parameters.