Forum OpenACS Q&A: browser question - little off topic
happend from time to time that Netscape stalled right after I opened
it. So I installed Mozilla and it didn't stall anymore.
But today I connected to the internet, opened Mozilla and it didn't
stall but simply didn't find a single web-page on the internet
instead (i.e. yahoo.com)... I could still connect to our server via
ssh, so there was definitely a connect to the internet. Netscape
couldn't connect to a web-page either.
I rebooted couple times, but nothing changed... Is there a weird
process running that is blocking my Mozilla (maybe some problems with
dns???) and that I have to kill?
Has anyone seen this before?
On several of my linux servers, I will often times find in the aolserver logs messages that gethostbyname has temporarily failed. I can't imagine why it would fail aside from bad isp (or maybe bad sysadmin (me)), but I would think that if DNS is failing for whatever reason, that would be a good reason for Mozilla to choke.
And what happens to Opera, Lynx, or Konqueror at those times?
The same happend as I put in the IP that you posted (Yahoo...)!
I don't have Opera or Lynx installed on my computer, I guess, but I could install those browsers and try again...
[reno4gov@web foo]# /usr/sbin/traceroute yahoo.com traceroute: Warning: yahoo.com has multiple addresses; using 184.108.40.206 traceroute to yahoo.com (220.127.116.11), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets 1 gateway (18.104.22.168) 15.017 ms 16.224 ms 14.435 ms 2 core3-g2-0.snfc21.pbi.net (22.214.171.124) 15.762 ms 15.504 ms 15.195 ms 3 edge2-g1-0.snfc21.pbi.net (126.96.36.199) 14.844 ms 15.410 ms 14.435 ms 4 bb1-pos3-0-oc12.sntc01.pbi.net (188.8.131.52) 16.315 ms 18.188 ms 18.126 ms 5 bb1-p6-0.pxpaca.sbcglobal.net (184.108.40.206) 18.340 ms 16.559 ms 20.359 ms 6 * * * 7 ge-3-3-0.msr1.pao.yahoo.com (220.127.116.11) 16.334 ms ge-1-3-0.msr1.pao.yahoo.com (18.104.22.168) 17.053 ms ge-1-2-0.msr2.pao.yahoo.com (22.214.171.124) 17.598 ms 8 vlan28.bas1-m.snv.yahoo.com (126.96.36.199) 19.558 ms 18.512 ms vl20.bas1.snv.yahoo.com (188.8.131.52) 19.253 ms 9 img3.yahoo.com (184.108.40.206) 18.585 ms 18.093 ms 19.415 ms [reno4gov@web foo]#
10:06:13 jonathan@jm1:~$ telnet 220.127.116.11 80 Trying 18.104.22.168... Connected to w3.dcx.yahoo.com (22.214.171.124). Escape character is '^]'. GET / HTTP-1.1 HTTP/1.0 200 OK Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:06:40 GMT Connection: close Content-Type: text/html <html><head><title>Yahoo!</title>... [lots of HTML output snipped]... ...</body></html> Connection closed by foreign host. 10:06:43 jonathan@jm1:~$
You need to press Enter twice after typing in the GET command. If you can't telnet to the web server's port, your browser won't be able to connect to it either, for the same reason. This is therefore a handy and 100% browser-independent test that you have appropriate connectivity to the web server concerned.
My brother had the same problem with RH7.1 yesterday. He also connects to German Telecom via DSL.
The weirdest thing is that without having done anything everything went back to smooth the next day...
Thanks for the advices anyways. I will try those the next time my browser goes crazy again.