Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS Performance Tests

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
PS: with upcoming processors like POWER7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7 or Rock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(processor), we will get 32 simultaneous threads (SMT) per chip! Linux will see this as 32 processors. Cool machines for running OpenACS and PostgreSQL.
Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
True, if the only option (due to the architecture) is to scale up (as opposed to the ability to scale out).
Collapse
i don't see these options as alternatives, but as directions. It is bad if one has multiple cores in a machine is not able to use it. The basic OpenACS infrastructure was built for multiple processing units. The point is simply: the micro-processor designers stopped a few years ago to increase frequencies and to add cores and SMT. These chips arrive now, Aolserver and OpenACS are ready to use them - NOW.

It would be certainly an interesting project to build something like OpenACS based on a P2P-network and DHTs (cassandra, bigtable, ... coral, cfs, oceanstore .... pier), but this will be a different project, since some basic assumption about the data storage are different.

Collapse
It is also bad if you need an expensive machine to be able to scale (read that as scale linearly). BTW, I would not classify Cassandra as a DHT in the same way that I would not classify PostgreSQL as a file system. The basic assumptions about the programming language and programming style were different for xowiki so I don't see your point about the project talk.
Collapse
The costs of processor per machine went down over the last yeas dramatically. ten years ago, a dual processor machine had the cost of a mainframe (i remember alta-vista vs. google discussions). today, a quadcore processor cost a few hundert dollar. i would expect a similar price for 32 cores in a few years from now.

Sure, DHT is just the basic workhorse, most of the other examples have also quite different properties than e.g. cassandra. What is the problem with the term "project"? xotcl-core and xowiki went out to be compatible with the acs data model. There is nothing wrong in having a project developing an acs package based on p2p technology. Many people will appreciate it. From the scope of the work, it is a project.

Collapse
Yes, from the scope of the work, it is a project. It's the *different* project part that I did not get the point ;)
Collapse
Furthermore, different file systems have different properties but that does not make them ACID-compliant databases.

Now, an interesting argument would be the one that makes the case for the use of ACID properties for content-oriented applications and semi-structured data.