Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Jabber and Cronjob Modules Available

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
Maybe you could explain the pros/cons of your module versus the Java Jabber-client...

The module makes AOLserver into a Jabber Client. the Java JabberClient, doesn't.

To make your solution run you would have to: 1. Install the Jabber-Server 2. Install your module 3. Write a display (tcl maybe)

You only need an account on a Jabber Server, but I would recommend installing a local server. This module is a client, trying to get AOLserver to be an efficient server would be not easy.

Exactly how scalable do thing your module with the auto refresh would be?

You would still have one connection thread per user. A minimum or 2 Meg of ram per thread. If you don't mind buying the ram, that is the only issue that I see. Maybe you could keep the client state in the connection thread, but then how would you get it to the display thread? Obviously some sort of nsv array would be nice, but you would have to key it so that you could flush the array when a client disconnects. Also you would need some way of determining when a client was really in need of being closed.

If you didn't mind about maintaining presence, you could set up a system where the jabber client would periodically connect to your jabber server accounts and drain the messages. Some way of per user processing of messages would be really nice, or when a client connects via the web, they could hand process messages.

I had also proposed in another thread a personal installation of OpenACS: the jabber client is then all yours and the sky is the limit. It would be by far the best local client you could get, IMHO. I don't know if the libjabber and libxode libraries compile on WIN platforms, probably not.