Forum OpenACS Q&A: Thank you everybody!

Collapse
10: Thank you everybody! (response to 1)
Posted by Cristian Salan on
I'm for the first time on a discussion forum and the community feeling is great indeed.

And now, step by step.

David,
Perhaps I'm the newbie of the newbies but that thread did not help. In command line I have no problem with ps aux and there is nothing with aux in the restart-aolserver script.

Richard,
Of course, you are perfectly right, but I am crowded with lots of docs printed and I don't know which to use firs. Documentation of OpenACS, AOL Server, PostgreSQL, SuSE, ACS, Tcl, SQL, etc. I know it was better to have some background. I don't, but at least I want to do this.

Jun & Sean,
Again, you show me the benefits of a community beyond Philip Greenspun's books.

I have tried both variants from Sean. The modified script listed above by Sean did start OK the postmaster although something went wrong because I was unable to connect to db.
Modifying the /usr/local/data/postgresql.conf file seemed to me the easy way. Done and it's working, but how can I verify that the postmaster is using the .conf file and now I have those flags set.

Don Baccus,
I don't figure why is still hard to start and configure properly an Open ACS system, as long as this has been done so many times by others. Yes, the documentation is great but it could be better. I think that could be more Open ACS systems working, faster to set up and configure and more reliable and have more active users at openacs.org with a better documentation.
Did you think how many newbies give it up because seemed too complicated for them and couldn't even see how great is working?

Perhaps OpenACS4 comes with lots of enhancements regarding this subject.

Thank you again for beeing there!