Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Peeking at openacs.org source/verbatim...

Collapse
Posted by Jerry Asher on
I think Barry's question should be taken to heart, it's something that has been asked for at various occasions for about two years now.

A lot of ACS implementations are documented, um poorly.  It's getting better, but few of us are good technical writers or have the resources to devote a great deal of time to the doc.  The APIs are developed quickly by different people with different vocabularies.  But if a picture is worth a 1000 words, I cannot begin to estimate how useful it can be to see actual data in actual columns and actual rows....

It would be a real feature, it would make implementation much much easier, if there was some demo'd real life site online somewhere that allowed people to peek at (read only) it's underlying database by allowing folks to run arbitrary "selects" against the database.

At a gross level, it would be pretty easy to do to. It would require installing an oacs 4 site with a dummy db and installing a variety of modules. let folks login and use the apps and then have a page that lets folks enter select statements against the db.  I am not expert in pg security -- what are the security implications of allowing arbitrary select statements?

What would be real cool would be a dummy site with a safer version of developer support turned on.