Forum OpenACS Q&A: AOLServer

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Gomez Rzedowski on
I am starting a web project and I am considering the various
alternatives to a Web Server. I would like to focus the Web site as a
Data Base. Of course Microsoft, IIS and ASP are the very first
options. To follow, Linux and Apache, JSP. To the end, AOLServer and
TCL. Can you develop in any other scripting languaje for AOLServer?.
The problem as well is that in Spain, no ISP is supporting AOLServer
to make a "housing" of the applications and see the overall design
(as far as I know). Any ideas?
Collapse
2: Response to AOLServer (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I don't know about Spain, but here in the U.S. people are trying to stay away from IIS as far as they can after it has proven itself as a big piece of crap time and time again.

Maybe you don't realize this, but IIS+ASP is a _very_ different paradigm than using JSPs (in whatever platform). Arguably a good one for developing web applications.

Regarding AOLserver, yes it does. You can develop in Tcl, Python, PHP and Java for AOLserver. The AOLserver site (aolserver.com) lists some modules for it.

You can embed a Python interpreter in AOLserver very easily with PyWX, and I read that using Python under AOLserver is faster than using it under Apache+PyApache. PHP supports AOLserver out of the box. The Tomcat servlet engine can be used with AOLserver via the nstomcat module. And there's the great nsjavablend, from our own Dan Wickstrom. nsjavablend embeds a Java Virtual Machine in the AOLserver process.

Collapse
3: Response to AOLServer (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hola Eduardo,

I am pretty sure I have seen postings from companies in Spain that develop OACS sites. I have also seen people from the Universidad del Paiz Vazco.

With regards to hosting, I wouldn't worry in hosting in the US or India or whatever. I personally have a couple of sites that are hosted by a british company with data centers in Kentucky.

cheers

Rafa

Collapse
4: Response to AOLServer (response to 1)
Posted by defunct defunct on
I do sympathise with the hosting issue. I have recently spoken to a large number of hosters (largely UK based) who steadfastly refuse to let us install AOLServer.... the comment is 'no bespoke web servers' !!! Arf... you gotta laugh really because of course IIS, their preferred web server is soooo stable.....😊

You may be interested to know that the entire BT Anytime domain is currently infested with IIS virus/bug problems... amusing if you're running linux/AOL probably quite alarming if you've got a NT box or IIS....

I would be interested to hear if you;ve had any luck finding a good hoster that allows AOLserver/PG...we've been trying to find someone suitable, just for a small site at reasonable cost and had little luck......

Cheers
Simon

Collapse
5: Response to AOLServer (response to 1)
Posted by Eduardo Gomez Rzedowski on
Simon

I can't find any provider that supports in their installations AOLServer as default in a hosting enviroment. But, of course if you want to do a housing, no trouble about putting inside whatever you want to. I could wait AOL (it's giving service through a known Finantial Bank in Spain) to come to Spain, but the best thing to do will be the housing option. Again, we'll see 😊

PS - What are the current prices for a housing out there?. Any suggestions?