Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
My $0.02:
  • Types of alert sources we deal with:
    BBoard, News, Calendar, File-Storage, Content Repository and many more
  • Types of destination:
    EMail, Instant Messaging, VoiceXML, SMS, Pager and many more to come
  • Types of filtering alerts:
    Category, Subject, Keywords, Author, Community probably even here many more
  • Other interesting information: Frequency, Subscription Status (on, off, vacation)
For the UI we could look at a hierachical presentation:
  1. Alert Source
  2. Alert Filter (e.g. Group or other)
  3. Alert "Title" with destination, frequency and status.
This list could get very long though. But maybe if we use something like the ticket tracker dimensional sliders, we could bring this into a more useful UI.

On the other hand, how do we solve this technically? Now would be a perfect moment for having a wicky. Hmmpfff.... My suggestion is that we first phase out possible stages of evolution using wimpy point in collaboration. Then we could add to this possible UI designs (scanned hand drawings should be fine for a start). Furthermore, the more technical guys could start on looking at implementation possibilities. And once we have this, I'd try to get cheap labour (e.g. students or developers from armenia, russia, india) to actually implement our design. Because I'm at least convinced this can be sold later on as part of implementation work for a client 😉.

P.S.: On a personal note, I'm off til probably 1st of November, so dont expect immediate responses from me til then.