Forum OpenACS Q&A: Ars Digita News--new CEO from Greylock, etc.

Someone referred to a piece of this on web/db but didn't mention that it had some business news too, and not just a comment about open vs. closed source:

From this story (this is the only Ars Digita stuff in it):

Keshian on call

Greylock venture partner Dan Keshian is developing a reputation as the firm's Mr. Fix-It. Earlier this year, Greylock dispatched him to serve as interim CEO at Digital Media on Demand, an Allston start-up that had developed software to make online music distribution more secure.

After overseeing some staff cutbacks and a strategy adjustment (the software is now geared to record labels and video production companies that want to securely share works-in-progress among different offices), Keshian was off to his next appointment, and Mark Overington, who had worked with Keshian at AVID Technology, was installed as CEO at Digital Media.

Keshian is now CEO at Cambridge's ArsDigita, the software company that earlier this year was in the throes of a control struggle between founder Philip Greenspun and its two main investors, Greylock and General Atlantic. (A lawsuit ended with a settlement in June, from which Greenspun seems to have profited nicely. He's now touring the country in a new Winnebago. Really.)

Keshian says that a series of layoffs at ArsDigita had been planned before his arrival, that former ArsDigita CEO Allen Shaheen will stay on as president of worldwide solutions, and that the company won't need to raise additional funding to get to profitability, following a $38 million round last year.

''My goal here is to help this group get to market with this technology,'' Keshian says.

Instead of pushing an open-source software suite for Web site management, community, and e-commerce, ArsDigita will focus on what it calls ''enterprise collaboration management'' - software that will help large groups use the Web to work together more efficiently. Shaheen says that while the ArsDigita products that have already been released will remain freely available as open source, ''the future is currently open for discussion.''

Collapse
Posted by carl garland on
Kind of interesting that noone responded to the corresponding thread that asks this question at AD proper. Also I noticed today that a thread at Newsforge
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/11/075256&mode=nocomment
mentions an Arsdigita auction although I could find no other references to this online.

Also if you look at the AD site there are no Events currently scheduled and the only article in the media coverage section is a quote that if not taken out of context is not very flatering of the ACS.

I hope AD the best and I think the community is sometimes too hard on them, I just wish they would clue us in on whats up...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I haven't heard about the auction, I wonder where it is?