Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Data modeling tools?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I must be suffering from an inability to comprehend the written word.  Here is the quote from the product page that led me to believe that they're telling you upfront that it isn't quite ready for prime time.  I've emphasized some things that triggered my opinion so you can tell me why I'm wrong:
<blockquote><i>
Data Architect <font size=+1><b>will</b></font> be available for Linux and Windows platforms.
</i></blockquote>
Here's a statement from their Changelog page which makes it clear they're concentrating on PostgreSQL and even there have a ways to go:
<blockquote><i>
The plan was to get 100% of PostgreSQL support done for this release but the Linux World show in San Francisco caused that to be pushed back. However, this release does contain much better PostgreSQL support and better ODBC support.
</i></blockquote>
OK, the release in question was at the end of August but this certainly makes me feel that they're being upfront about the fact that the product's a preliminary version.
<p>So, sure, it breaks now (so does OpenACS 4.x alpha in many horrible ways) but that's why it's not done by anyone's standards - including theirs.