Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Edit this Page

Collapse
4: Response to Edit this Page (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I told Jon pretty much the above when he first queried me, so obviously our thinking is inline.
<p>
The problem with the original CMS is real (well, it wasn't real in its original context as the "ACS killer" where it wouldn't have to worry about nasty CR objects created by non-CMS packages living in that horrible ACS space).  The two got "integrated" but not really, the ACS poaches the CMS CR (rightly so) while the CMS still piggedly rolls in the mud of its presumption that it runs standalone, with no db api to call on other than it's own, full of its own proc call conventions divorced from aD proc, etc etc.
<p>Anyway, as it stands someone with the right perms and the CMS can muck with CR content from any package that stores content in the CR, whatever controls such packages think they have over content. *evil*
<p>And yes, of course, let's not ALTER SOME_OTHER_PACKAGES_DATAMODEL_IN_MY_DATAMODEL!  This path leads to unmaintainable spaghetti.  If a package you need to depend on has an inadequate datamodel, either subtype it or change the package itself (after community discussion, of course!)