Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Would you like to publish your ACS objects with RSS?

Jerry,

Short, short answer:

Other packages should communicate with the RSS package via asc-service-contract contracts. I think whether or not, or how to store accumulated RSS data should reside in yet-another, or each individual package. With this method the underlying code can change as long as the external representation via the service contracts stays the same.

Individual packages could also communicate "new-stuff" to each other or a generalized system via acs-service-contract. I haven't looked into it too much, but it appears to be an answer to many questions we are running into.

Can someone confirm my thinking here? As long as we are looking at extending packages and adding new ones, I think this issue needs to be addressed. I do NOT want to distract from the immediate goal of a working OpenACS 4 release though. I just want to save people some trouble who may be working on packages and services they need to get a site up and running.