Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Groups API in 4.x

Collapse
Posted by Roger Williams on
OK, Dave:

Since I have been swimming in this lately (to get it to work for a project I am doing), I wanted to see if I understood the problem.

To my dismay, it seems I cannot accomplish this with the GUI!@#$% My best approach was to try to make a Relationship Type for the assigned-to relation. The problem I had was that the GUI would only allow a relationship type which is a sub-type of Composition or Membership. I wanted to make a type that inherits from the supertype of these relations (I think this is group-type=group). The out-of-the-box UI only allows it the other way.

So I ended up with a sub-type of Membership as the assigned-to relation. I was able to make an instance (segment?) of it by creating some members. I have the impression that since this segment is in no way specialized when compared to Membership, that there is no value to this (sub-)type.

I have not done it yet, but I would guess that two possible approaches are (both not possible from the UI):

• add a contraint to this new segment (maybe this is the type) to make this different from Membership.
  • create a new relationship type for the assigned-to relation and create the specific attributes you need at that time.

I have just figured out how to do the simple example of a making a subsite/group containing a sub-group of admins. This is also pathetically designed in terms of the current screens. I now know how to modify the current screens, code, and default settings to make this no harder than it needs to be.

My intent is to post the results of that work to this board.

Regards..