Forum OpenACS Development: Feature Request: One-click install for APM

I've seen other threads mention improving the APM and the admin interface. Here's one specific example While one-click may be unrealistic, perhaps the click count could still come down a bit.

One-click install. Most of the time I install a package, i want to see what it does. But what I actually have to do is

1. find the package (on Ars Digita, use cut-paste to download; with OpenACS, find it in file-storage or from CVS),
  2. load the package,
  3. install the package (if it's part of the CVS distribution, wait a very long time for /apm/packages-install to load, and then choose 'unclick all' and wait again for it to reload (just submitted a patch for that))
  4. check two boxes,
  5. wait,
  6. manually follow the scrolling page,
  7. restart the APM,
  8. wait,
  9. navigate over (or usually retype the url) to the site map,
  10. create a new sub-folder (and come up with a name),
  11. find the sub-folder I just created, and create a new application (remembering not to mount, which is different) (and come up with another name),
  12. click on the folder I just created
  13. where frequently I end up on a page that doesn't have any instructions or links to help

So the dream feature is:

1. Browse to a repository on openacs.org
  2. Select a new module from a list and click to download
  3. Get a prompt: "Perform a fast install, which will put the module on your site available at /foo, or Advanced Install, where you can manually mount the module on your site map?"
  4. While it would be nice if this worked in multi-subsite, etc, etc environments, it would still hit much of the target audience (people who want to try out OpenACS) if it didn't.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yes, this would be nice.  Maybe something like this can happen during our second release cycle...