Forum OpenACS Q&A: OT: Personal Server Migration

Collapse
Posted by Walter McGinnis on

I'm thinking of moving my personal server stuff from a FreeBSD box to an upgraded Cube running Mac OS X 10.3.x. In the process I'm hoping to simplify my configuration by replacing custom software installations with more standard OS X stuff and/or unifying the tools I use.

Here's the setup:

• The box will act as a gateway and firewall for my wireless LAN (DSL modem to ethernet, Airport card handles wireless LAN). This seems pretty straightforward using sunShield. The only catch here is that I have two static IPs for my outside interface. My guess is that I can modify the configuration files directly to add the second IP after sunShield creates them.
  • I run my mailserver with qmail which it sounds like I can get running under Mac OS X (10.3.x) by doing a little patching, etc. However, Postfix comes standard with the Mac now and I'm wondering if it's time to simplify and go with with what's stock for the OS. Has anyone migrated from qmail to Postfix? Is it worth the trouble? My existing mail is in Maildir format and I would like to just move it over. From a quick google, seems like handling Maildir with Postfix is a matter of changing one line in a configuration file. Is this right?

Any success/horror stories with qmail and OS X?

I'm also running CourierIMAP (ssl) and Squirrelmail, both of which sound like they will work fine with Postfix. I also have several virtual domains, sounds like Postfix handles this as well.

• Replacing Apache with AOLServer across the board:

On the FreeBSD box, I use Apache to serve a couple auth-digest protected webDAV directories, the aforementioned Squirrelmail via PHP4 and SSL, and a web interface for my iCal calendars via phpicalendar-2.0a2.

AOLserver and webDAV via tDAV sounds straightforward if I replace my auth-digest stuff with nsperm.

How about PHP4 (or 5? not sure what is appropriate for Squirrelmail and phpcalendar) via the AOLserver. This document outlines how to install it and mentions Squirrelmail as being "lightly tested". Does it work well? I use Squirrelmail only from https, is AOLserver 4 and nsopenssl finally ready for primetime? I remember there being some concern awhile back.

I prefer to install using DarwinPorts, AOLServer is only at 4.0.8 in their tree. My guess is that I should opt with 4.0.10 via download from Sourceforge. At this point I'm assuming that I'll have to build most of the other software from source anyway.

Any gotchas that I'm missing? I'm open to other recommendations for how to simplify things.

TIA,

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
We use postfix for OpenACS on MacOS X. It is easy to configure postfix for openacs, just follow the steps that I've outlined in the following document:

http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/ncarroll/ref/postfix-howto