Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Hardware Configuration for an ACS Site

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Guys,

Yup Sean I have to cram in a DDS-4 drive there.  I am the one who picked the hardware. Although I am trying to get the higher ups to buy an autoloader for God sake.  Those are 18G 10K rpm SCSI disks that holds 4MB cache, although the 15K is really good but it does cost a lot.  I am also gunning for a 128MB RAID controller.  This is basically a Dell PowerEdge 2550.  This should initially give me RAID 1 then RAID 10 when I add 2 more hardisk to fill up 4 bays.  The fill up the 2 DIMM slots left with all the memory that money can buy when its upgrade time.  Although the IBM x330 looks good too.

Now that I have seen it, I think I made a typo Hamilton.  We are trying to reach the 4K budget mark.  I am sure that the server can not be at 4K with dual procs.  Please make it a Single processor.

Any ACS 4.x platform (OpenACS 4.2, ACS 4.2, ACS Java, etc.) has this complex permission system.  Given the choice of OpenACS 4 can the hardware that is written by Hamilton above be enough for 20 simultaneous users?  From what I have read on some threads around here the ACS permissions is really a heavy query since it involved acs_objects.  Does anyone have any hard numbers how fast is a page load for an OpenACS site that has 300K acs_objects, 100K for users objects and 200K for other ACS objects?

Has any one done some benchmarking on OpenACS 4 already?  Can someone get give the details on how the permissions was tested, hardware specs etc.  So maybe it might help me estimate how much hardware beef I would need.

Hmmmm now that I am thinking of it 300K rows... that should be long enough for a non modem user to notice.
I believe that there is already a patch for the permissions where in a view is used rather the acs_objects table.  Will OpenACS 4.2 permission queries be better then ACS 4.2?  Or be exactly the same.  I think optimizing the permissions system will be top priority for Don once OpenACS 4.2 is released.  I am I right will the optimization of ACS permission is high on the list after the release of OpenACS 4.2?