Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Marketing and Advocacy

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Marketing efforts didn’t work in the past. What is different today? Why would it work today? This is an open question.

And what is there to market? Not a well coordinated community, bug free software or easy to install, user friendly software, a killer application..... Well you get the picture I guess. My aim is not to criticise.

“Scratching the itch” has been important in development, but there should be more to market. I have never seen an openACS roadmap, there are no real responsibilities in the community, no follow-up on tasks and nothing we can depend on except for the obvious devotion of some very gifted developers (until they get deployed elsewhere).

IMVHO, marketing should be a result of a well coordinated process that incorporates the input from subgroups. The UAB knows how well that works currently.

I’m definitely not claiming to know how to do this. I just wish someone (OCT?) would restructure the community process (apply for a micro grant?)... to make clear how the tasks get done and which way the software is moving in the short and long run. Let us market to our own community first.

Sorry in advance for any misjudgement.