Forum OpenACS Q&A: Killer app?

Collapse
20: Killer app? (response to 1)
Posted by Shambhunath Borah on
I'm curious about the "killer app" part of these comments:

"And what is there to market? Not a well coordinated community, bug free software or easy to install, user friendly software, a killer application..... Well you get the picture I guess. My aim is not to criticise."

Are any of you OACS developers thinking of applications that if not specifically trying to become the next killer app, at least growing to be a national or int'l resource for users?

Everyday I seem to get "invites" to something social software thing or another. Plaxo, Ringo, hi5, gmail etc. I usually decline but that's not the point. I'm not in the non-profit/ngo world so I don't know what the equivalents there are. When some group, usually young college (or just out of college)kids I presume, get an idea for a hotornot or facebook, I assume they use the most common technologies since that's what they know.

I also notice some people are professors with students. What do these bright students like to do in terms of creating software and using OACS? (By the way, I'm grateful for those Windows installer that were created.)

Another interesting website, from a marketing point of view, might be the website of the next person who sails around the world to try to break that speed record.
What will they use? In this case the website doesn't need to triumph over the competition (it's not really competing against anything) but the personal triumph (we hope) of the sailor would help the marketing. It would perhaps also raise some technical challenges but that would be good, right? One could ask to do the website for this kind of expedition:

http://www.northabout.com/

Also, I think it might be fun to try for that kind of job sometimes in addition to that next self-service billing solution.

Maybe these stories exist, but I don't find much mention of them. I think one more way of marketing OACS to ambitious developers might be to organize the list of sites into ways that show interesting things you can do with it. If not that many exist maybe create some?

Not as serious as the other posts. Just trying to lighten the mood (and perhaps inspire).