Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Marketing and damned lies.

Collapse
Posted by David Cohen on
When I was contracting at Warner Music in Burbank (ended March 01), they were using all of these tools--the music video site instavid.com, for example, was built using ATG Dynamo (though the initial hits to the sites are to Netscape Enterprise Servers. After that interaction, you are hitting Java pages when you click on stuff). Vignette was used to build the tools to do things like publish videos to the site or to get access to various reports, etc.

There were some other related sites that were similarly put together.
I don't know how far ranging the use of these tools is at Warner Music, especially now, since after AOL bought them there was a push to move away from doing web pages dynamically and instead to publish things statically but to update them often, so things would seem to be "dynamic" in the sense of changing frequently.

This, of course, is how AOL does things on AOL. A bit amusing (or, as the person who started this thread might say, ironic) given that AOL has AOLserver, but I get the feeling that AOLserver isn't really viewed as being that important strategically at AOL--yes, they use it for various things, but having such a tool doesn't seem to affect their vision of how to do things.

This all, of course, is extrapolation on my part based on my Warner experience, so if anyone else knows better, please post. Do remember  though--even if there are groups there that use it enthusiastically, that doesn't mean that the people responsible for the "big picture" care for it or the kind of database-backed website approach that it enables.

P.S. I actually found someone at Warner Music who knew what the ACS is and was interested in seeing it used for intranet-type stuff. Trouble is, he was just a tech-writer(!) and I was at the end of my tenure there, but it was fun talking to him about how it could be useful.