Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Marketing and Advocacy

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Taken resources are available, things that attract developers would be:

- A newbies developer guide that takes you through the toolkit with lots of "and you can do this much in just two lines of codes".
- Easy installation (yeah, we covered that already)
- Regular bootcamps at reasonable prizes

But foremost I'd say it is important to even get the developers attention that OpenACS is out there.

- Get articles into developer magazines (or the Linux ones), describing how cool OpenACS is for xyz.
- Being Slashdotted might help as well.
- We might think about hosting a mirror of our activities on sourceforge to get a high activity ranking there.

As for Jade's comment, at least for me the comment about urgent client work is true for the moment. But this does not mean we should loose focus on this.

What would be good is to get e.g. an intern for the foundation (or the .LRN consortium), who would focus on marketing for an OpenACS/.LRN. I'd be willing to help find one and invest some effort(time and money) in that person. But I think it would be best to have that person located in Boston.

How about inviting an MBA student from SLOAN to write a paper (master thesis :)) on how to do marketing for .LRN and OpenACS. Wouldn't this topic be of interest to some professors (you could relable it as "Marketing an OpenSource Platform")?