Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

Malte - I agree that there is no reason for enthusiasm but I don't see any other potential ground for new developers than from universities either.

Jeff- I disagree. You say

"I think things like Lors, the assessment package, etc are important to the success of dotlrn in the "Enterprise Level University Service" market but your run of the mill student just isn't going to care."

but right here is the proof that assessment, lors and many more package were only possible because universities are getting involved. Neither assessment nor lors depend on dotLRN.

Also I don't target normal students. Universities that go beyond simply installing the system and feel committed are my aim. And these packages were developed to a great extend by folks from universities who have entered the community now.

It's not about dotLRN in the first place! I have enough experience here in Mannheim to say that OpenACS is what dotLRN is all about. Students learn a great deal about web based development developing with OpenACS. A package is an OpenACS package in the first place and later on integrated with dotLRN. But dotLRN is at the end of the day the platform where all these activities at the university level are brought together and show fruits.