Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to MS Proxy Server and Caching Problem with OpenACS 4.2 Web Site

<blockquote>>> So (acording to the Squid folks), proxies are perfectly justified in caching default ACS pages
</blockquote>

Interesting.  I'm not in the office, but in my initial experiments, a default Squid installation doesn't seem to cache dynamic ACS pages.  I need to study this further.

Perhaps what I missed was that the dynamic pages were getting cached, but Squid first attempts to validate the pages by sending an "If-Modified-Since" using the date that it previously got with the "Date:" header.  And ACS responds every time with a 200 instead of a 304 (Not Modified), which effectively made it seem like the pages were NOT getting cached.

In any case, I was able to verify, using Squid, that every request for a dynamic page resulted in a request directly to the ACS server - "effectively" no cacheing.

However, our initial findings with a default MS Proxy installation indicate that MS Proxy sometimes serves dynamic ACS pages straight out of its cache without any form of "If-Modified-Since" validation.  We were very easily able to replicate the bug where a user sees another user's home page - very bad behavior indeed!

Bottom line: I think the suggestion of having ACS/AOLServer explicitly set some combination of Expires/Cache-Control/Pragma as the default behavior for dynamic pages still stands.  We will include this in our master template and let you know the results.

Thanks.