Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

Dave asked `Why aren't these issues brought up individually in the forums, or as bug reports?'.

Well, because you and I were working on some of the bugs I encountered together, communicating on the #OpenACS IRC channel. The OpenACS core fix required was the `folder__new' proc we discussed. See https://openacs.org/irc/log/2005-02-18 for a transcript. I later discovered the bug in the tsearch2_driver for which I've emailed you a patch directly as you are the maintainer of that package. Maybe you overlooked it in your inbox?

I did not log the lars-blogger bug as I was fed up with constant stream of bugs encountered so far.

Dave also wondered if `I proposed ways the interface could be improved?'. No I didn't. Personally, I can't find rhyme or reason in the admin interface and consider it a step back from the previous interface. Specifically the labyrinth of pages for maintaining packages (both installed or new). See https://openacs.org/irc/log/2005-02-19 for my uncensored expressions of frustration with OpenACS.

Regarding ecommerce, remember that I cleaned up the code significantly about 3 years ago and since have assisted Torben on occasion. You can't tell me that I don't know the state of ecommerce. Yes, commercial sites are running ecommerce but that doesn't mean that ecommerce's code is of good quality. If all you have is a hammer....

My point is that I'm disappointed with OpenACS's progress. There have been some excellent contributions, yours included Dave, but overall I feel that the OpenACS framework suffers from lack of organization in the OpenACS community. Which translates -for me at least- that OpenACS isn't ready to be used as Praesagus's Intranet site. A site that should assist Praesagus in their day to day work not detract from it. As it stands installing the (then) latest release of OpenACS was giving me more headaches that I cared for.

Harsh? Maybe.

/Bart