Forum OpenACS Q&A: PostgreSQL documentation

Collapse
Posted by Miguel Gonzalez on
dear all,

I am looking for any pdf or html book, tutorial or whatever about
PostgreSQL. So far I got the Bruce Monjiam´s book, the pdfs included
in the source distribution and the html book called Practical
PostgreSQL. Does anyone know any other information? I am interested in
the security part, how to manage passwords, SSL, etc.

Many thanks

Miguel

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
There's really nothing better than those you mention AFAIK.  And the security part of the RDBMS is one that's evolving rapidly, which means that investigating the PG 7.1 or PG 7.2beta (depending on which you're using) directly is probably your best bet.
Collapse
Posted by Kenny Chan on
Hi,

There is one more book, PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts.

It was available as a PDF, cuz it was a collaboratively "debugged" book by the Pg community. They used to release versions of the PDF after errors are corrected / updated. The PDF is no longer available from them after the book get published with dead tree. The good news is, I have the PDF which I believe to be the one just before the book went pressed. (ie, pretty much IS the book)

I wanted to upload to somewhere in openacs.org but I couldn't find a appropriate place. Perhaps I can hand it to a senior member and put it on this site for the community's benefit? The PDF is 2.55 MB.

Sincerely,

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If the PDF's no longer available it may be for a reason, i.e. the publisher may've only made it available in that form before publication by intent.  In that case we'd undoubtably annoy them if we made it available.

You might check with the PG folk, for instance Marc Fournier who has also been posting here recently.  He may know the story.  The PG site, which is mirrored in many places, would be a more logical place to make this permanently available anyway.