Collapse
1: apms
Posted by Matthew Terenzio on
I'm embarrassed to ask, but where can I find the packages to install
through the ACS package manager?
Collapse
2: Response to apms (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Just download the latest OpenACS 4 tarball and you'll be getting all the packages that currently work with this preliminary release.

In the future we'll be putting up a repository similar to the old aD one where users can submit other APMs for their own packages that they want to share.  This won't happen until after we switch openacs.org itself over to OpenACS 4 (rather than 3.2.5).

Collapse
3: Response to apms (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I may've misunderstood your question.  In order to see the list of packages that are part of the tarball, go to the package manager and click on "install packages".  That will cause your computer to spin its wheels for a bit, and after a suitable delay a list of packages with "install" and "enable" checkboxes will appear in your browser.

Be warned that in the Oracle version you can't install all packages at once, because the list of packages overflows the varchar used to hold it (varchar's in Oracle are limited to 4000 characters).  You'll get a nasty Tcl stack dump if you try to do so.  If you're using the PostgreSQL version you can install all packages at once - though it does take awhile.

And if you're using CVS or a nightly tarball check the status page to see which packages actually work with which RDBMS.  The alpha tarballs are massaged so that you only see the right ones in the package manager, but this isn't true of the working sources.

Collapse
4: Response to apms (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Terenzio on
I'm sorry I didn't make this clearer Don, I've got a message, "No New Packages to Install". The installation was done by my ISP, "just then core." So I tried the package loader and thought I'd point it to a direcory on my hard-drive which has an un-tarred OACS. I am told that it is not an .apm file. So my question was that I either need a URL that has an .apm or need to create one of those files locally.(I guess)
Thanks
Collapse
5: Response to apms (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I see ... it sounds like your ISP installed openacs-core only.

The package installer's a bit rough in some regards, you're hitting a rough edge.  We've not provided APMs for the various pieces at this point.  It won't pick up packages that aren't local to the install unless they're in APM format, AFAIK.

What you can do is to copy the untarred packages you want under the packages directory of your actual OpenACS-4 installation.  That's what the APM does when you feed it a .apm file, it untarballs it under the local packages directory.

Then when you to the install page they'll be seen by the APM, though I think you'll find you need to restart your AOLserver instance first.

If it was Marc (hub.org) who installed he was working with recent CVS sources, so make sure you pull packages from last night's tarball rather than the alpha tarball.