Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Jabber question...

Collapse
Posted by Bjoern Kiesbye on
I'am one of Maltes developers, if all you need is a chat room , you can stick to jabber,
the conferencing module is now working ( there has been a bit of trouble with the doc's that caused some confusion), but now more and more Client App's support conferencing ( WinJab, the new Applet (unreleased) for example). Just make sure you have the latest version of conferencing inst. , and our community members  use the latest Client App's. You have the possibility to give the chat members different priority’s ,from the lowest listening only to the highest the not removable admin , you can make  conferencing public or private (we prefer public because every user can browse through a list of chat rooms ) .  You can send invitations trough the transports so it doesn’t matter in which IM System the room members are online.

If this is not enough for your purpose, you may wait a few more weeks , at the moment we are working on rewriting our code to prepare it for our self defined xml  (this give us greater possibilities in data exchange between Jabbar an AOLserver, and will make the module run more stable ) and do some speed enhancement. .
As well we work on making the code easier to install and easier to configure, as it is now.

We wrote a tcl admin page that let you use all functionality’s of our  admin client, if your interested we can give you access to this page on our dev. Server after we finished the rewriting of our code.
(about a week to go) You can play around with it a bit to get an overview of the possibility’s . I’ll have to check that with Malte first.
So if there is any interest let me know..

Happy X-Mas.