Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Jabber question...

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

David,

I have a working server setup. The AOLserver modules are running inside an OpenACS website at http://pathfinderschool.com/.

The jabber client is setup to allow you to create an account at the website. A test would be to sign up on jabber and then login to the website.

I didn't spend the time to change the data model for OpenACS, otherwise, I would have put an additional field in the parties table to register the jabberID of the user signing up. That way I could associate the two.

To signup:

1. Start a chat session with weblog@pathfinderschool.com/ws.
  2. If you are using WinJab, just enter some text to start start the process.
  3. The client should respond with a menu of commands.
  4. Enter :i for the index.
  5. Then enter :a for ACS.
  6. Enter :r to register
  7. Answer the series of questions to setup your account.
  8. Enter :confirm to confirm, or anything else to abort.
  9. Try logging in to pathfinderschool.com with your new account.

Since I wrote this tcl module, I discovered the idea of a 'component'. A component is an Jabber extension. The prefered method for extending jabber is through 'external' components. An external component logs in in a slighlty different way than a client, but is still happens via sending and receiving jabber packets.

My next push into this area will be to connect AOLserver to the Jabber Server as a component. Components have admin privileges, and can use an manipulate the jabber database. Using my module as a starting point, it should be a one day effort, max, to create a component login.

All of the tcl code for the signup process is included in the OpenACS tcl module.