Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

So we're going to back up our belief, for many backed up with practical experience, that Java is not a particularly useful language for the bulk of web application development by working hard to make sure everything we do plays nice with ns_java, by replacing key concepts in the toolkit with object replacements in order to play nice with Java, etc etc?

I don't think so. I stand behind the things I believe in, and refuse to stand behind the things I don't believe in, and frankly Java doesn't move me in the least. I don't care *what* the application space is.

I'm going on the road for 3-4 weeks to photograph in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts, and the east New Mexico/west Texas shortgrass prairie. Leaving in a couple of weeks. Threads like this, where long-term members of the community wring their hands in angst over every thing that's wrong with our software stack while relative newcomers say, "Gee, guys, your toolkit ROCKS, you just need to get the word out!" are depressing, to say the least.

If people had fixed or resolved a bug for every post they'd made in this thread, we'd have over a hundred fewer open bugs in our bug database ...