Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

OTOH, if the people most excited about the toolkit are the ones without enough experience to recognize its shortcomings, shouldn't that be an indication that something is deeply wrong?
Openacs is not a magic wand that can solve all the problems for you neither is experience. To identify shortcomings you need foresight and the courage to look within yourself. This I see a lot in the community.

Openacs solves a subset of problems and everyone has his subset of problems to deal with. Some overlap with Openacs some donnot and hence the thread nearing 0.5 MB.

Apart from OO what I donnot see in the community is the recognition of the fact that most developers out there are not the best or technical proficient and amazing but what they need is a tool kit that solves_their_problems without having to qualify into MIT to do that. PHP enables you to do exactly that.
To my understanding one of the reasons that Openacs is unable to attract a larger developer base or a higher degree of contributions is because we donnot think about "them" whereas you would find a plethora of applications out there in PHP world created by the same people.

Imagine the scenario if the same developer is given a powerful framework such as Openacs ,completely opensource , easy to implement or extend simple solutions , a community waiting open arms to support you for any silly problem you have apart from being sexy for development.... Openacs would really ROCK and continue to ROCK n ROLL.