Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

Jonathon, Jeff & Harish all have good points. I would also like to point out that the whole fixation with OO starts with the fact that Tcl has no rich data structures. Whether OO is or is not the best or even a good way to program, programming without rich data structures is simply abominable.

Yers the funtionality of our toolkit rocks. But show any sesoned (non-TCL) developer the quirks of ad_form, and then show him the source and they will run away screaming.

No disrespect to ad_form intended - I love it so much I implemented it in Perl! But it just takes too much wizzardry to be called structured programming.

So as I suggested a few threads ago, maybe we should agree to call this thread closed, and appoint a few people to summarise the thread into a list of good & bad points about the OpenACS tookit & community. Then from that list we can agree on areas that are important to improve, and what strengths we should be marketing.

At that point, the actual approach to deal with each weakness becomes a seperate issue that can be dealt with by different groups.

Who agrees that the useful debate is just about done (we are, after all, getting a little cyclical in recent posts)?