Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Why we should dissolve the .LRN consortium

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Al wrote:
> .LRN should become the OpenACS core + any component "certified" by the community as enterprise class and enterprise quality, irrespective of its use. If the Events module or Project module become enterprise ready, then we should designate theme as .LRN and make it available as part of the .LRN release.
I'm sorry but I'm stupid and lazy and I can't resist the temptation to ask: *Why would one want to that?* The part I don't understand is why should this be the case and not vice versa which makes more sense to me (at least), i.e. .LRN would be "certified" as *one* (not "THE") enterprise class and enterprise quality e-learning solution built on top of OpenACS, i.e. a vertical application.

If I understood correctly, Al claims that .LRN is a subset of OpenACS (the project or the codebase (???)) and at the same time Al also claims that it's the superset of the OpenACS core + "certified" packages, however, still "a subset of OpenACS components that meet or exceed an enterprise quality threshold" irrespective of their use again according to Al. I'm confused!..

For the time being, I'll avoid to comment on the second part of Al's last message since I'm not sure I understood exactly what it says/means.