Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time for a name change?

Collapse
Posted by Daryl Biberdorf on

The name Agora is growing on me. It's something of a neutral name that doesn't limit the project to what people think of when they hear "community," for example. I've been involved with some commercial software (unrelated to anything ACS/OpenACS) over the past year. It's simply amazing how much of the functionality that is available out of the box with OpenACS is being re-done in these other projects. File storage. Teams and team permissions. Email notifications and reminders. And several other features. Whatever name is chosen should be marketed to indicate that this is a product that is a framework for building collaborative services. That word is perhaps overused, but it conveys more than "community" does. Community almost gives an idea that we're about being a BBS package, but OpenACS is much, much more than that. Rather, it allows people to work together -- as coworkers, friends, teams, opponents, vendor/customer.

All that having been said, perhaps the biggest area of marketing that needs to be addressed is, honestly, Tcl. I really like Tcl, but you'd be surprised at how many snickers I get when I mention that a project the size of OpenACS uses the language. I find that odd, since Tcl is at least as capable as Visual Basic, which is at the core of all those Microsoft-driven ASP sites, and is faster to develop in than, say, Java. But impressions are impressions. What can be done to promote Tcl as an acceptable platform for a real web site?