Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time for a name change?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Wow!  Look what happens when I decide to take a couple of days off...

Coincidently I was also thinking about this being a good time for a name change, too.  My motivation is strictly due to wanting to avoid confusion with aD's current Java-based toolkit.  If we're at 4.2 now, what happens when we release a couple more versions?  Will people think that OpenACS 4.6 is a Postgres port of aD's ACS 4.6 (which is written in Java)?

Frankly I've never understood why a rewrite from Tcl to Java managed to be released as a simple minor version bump.  Yes, the datamodel's virtually unchanged blah blah blah but still...

Anyway, I was thinking that we might want to rename our toolkit and release it as version 1.0.  So upon my return, what do I find?  A discussion about the name change.

It's a pity about Agora being taken but the existing agora is too close to what we do for us to want to use it.

The name exercise if fun.  I kind of like Pueblo because it does imply  the functionality of the community-building technology of the toolkit itself, as well as the community which work on and with the toolkit.

But generic names like "Pueblo" are often used - are we sure there's not some random little company named "Pueblo Software" lurking in New Mexico somewhere, etc?

Let's keep the creative juices flowing.  If we end up with two or three or more names with a strong following we could set up a poll, sure.