Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time for a name change?

Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on
I agree. A company such as Apple can blame far more things than a couple of stumbles in their branding for their near demise.

Comparing Apple and OpenACS isn't really fair. People here will eventually have to settle for a certain level of marketing. OpenACS is an open source project, not Coca-Cola or Nike.

I'm unclear what would happen if a rebranding effort actually goes forward. I haven't been keeping up to date on what the OpenACS gatekeepers/junta have planned for the software in the near and long term. Ask me in 6 mos./1 yr.

Ultimately, it probably hinges on how the OpenACS Junta perceive the future of their toolkit. Is it something to be "sold" to IT managers? Is it pure UNIX geekware? ("Hi, I'm a university CS guy working at 3 A.M. on this toolkit because that's all I do and I want other people awake at 3 A.M. to download it and tell me how neat it is to load it onto their systems.").

I think once this decision is made, there will be more consistency in the documentation quality and a more pointed focus to this bboard. Heck, the ArsDigita bboard has continued to evolve as the status of the ACS toolkit has evolved and changed. If you haven't visited the ArsDigita bboards recently, you should, just to see how the latest ArsDigita changes affected the spirit of the bboard.

This concludes my comments on this thread.