Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time for a name change?

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days, and FWIW here's my $0.02:

I think that the types of end-customers for us commercial houses vary so much that it would be tough to come up with a brand that would appeal to all of them. Something a small non-profit would find appealing would probably turn off a largish corporate entity, and vice versa. So my suggestion is that we (or you, since I haven't thought of any good name ideas yet) come up with a name that gives a mental image of what the toolkit does, and let those of us who are trying to make money with this thing build the brands that will appeal to our particular market segment. This approach also works for the non-commercial users, those who are interested in the toolkit just because it's cool and they can contribute to it.

That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be something dry and boring (sorry, Michael! :) like OCS. Of the current suggestions I think I like Pueblo best, though Don's probably right that it's already overused, because it conveys the idea of a self-sufficient, fully-functional village where people spend time, communicate among themselves and even shop.

Also, although Mike's suggestion was mostly meant to be a joke, I rather like Bacchus; I believe he was the god of gatherings and social activity and enjoying life, not just drunkenness, and for those of us on the inside it has a nice inside joke to go along with it. :)