Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time for a name change?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Back in the day, i jokingly suggested to the gatekeepers that they change the name to "AdidaWoven" or "Bacchanalia". They did not seem amused 😊

Regardless, I guess my question for everyone is where do they see OACS heading? Will it be used in more of a "professional" setting going forward? That is, will a great many folks be using it as part of their consulting gigs? If so, wouldn't a "functional" name be more useful when pitching clients? ("We use the Open Community System platform to build out sites..." versus "We use bacchanalia, community system of the drunken gods...")

phpgroupware has come a long way in a short period of time with a name that is both functional, _and_ is associated with another popular technology.

Perhaps a name that's a near-anacronym (like apache) would be the most useful; that way, when pitching a client you can expand the acronym, but in common parlance, you can use the abbreviation. Ie, OACS = Open Architecture Community System, versus "Oaks' or "Oasis" or whatever...