Forum OpenACS Q&A: Running Oracle on a separate server (new document)

I put together a document detailing how to run Oracle on a separate server, after a bit of hairpulling. All of the existing OpenACS docs I've seen so far assume Oracle is running locally. The new document is in new file storage.

Vinod, is it possible to put a pointer to this in the install docs?

Currently, I'm placing this under a restrictive license to avoid it ending up in print somewhere, with its beta-level errors and my name on it. Once any problems are hammered out, I'll release it under an open doc license.

Comments appreciated.

Ideally our docs should cover both cases (remote and local) with equal ease.  I don't think there's any problem honoring your license wish (easy to say, as project manager!) but I appreciate your wanting to make sure it's golden before it gets out to the world.

But ... I think we have higher standards of trust here and you could just post it, say "hold it until we fully test and integrate it", and end up in the same place.

Having said that, I don't want you to think that I mind your weak paranioa.  Not at all ... your contribution is appreciated.  But for all this to work we need to learn to operate in an environment of absolute communal trust.

Which will take time, success, and hell ... maybe glory! to achieve.

This will definitely help with any scaling issues that may arise. Thanks for draining this swamp!

Regards..