Forum OpenACS Q&A: Jabber

Collapse
15: Jabber (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Michael, I have nothing against Jabber as such, and am sure it will fit many needs, once it is integrated in ACS it will be the best solution. Why I am not convinced of Jabber at this stage is the fact it's Java. I am currently using a Java chat system, which is blocked by almost every corporate firewall, so most of my members can't chat.( www.chatspace.com ) My needs are limited, When I went over the design documents this weekend I noticed the following statement:

"The HTML page cannot have a Refresh: header for client-pull autofresh. If you did this, the user would be at risk of losing what he or she was typing into the post form."

In our 8 months experience with people on-line from 8 AM-11 PM we have found this to be irelevant, because chatters won't be writng mega articles. We have tried ACS chat and found that because the auto refresh is disabled people didn't like it. That is the main reason why ACS chat is not effective IMHO.

Could you, or anybody else on the list tell me how to enable this function, so I can try the diference on my test panel.

All I require is a simple adjustment as described. here Maybe I am looking at the issue from a diferent perspective. I am based in Holland, and overhere I have found few people interested in AOL , Yahoo and other AIM systems exept computer professionals. My market is Joe/Jane User, mostly aged over 30. Anything I offer that requires additional sign-up procedures for external systems will be an additional barier in accepting my services.