Forum OpenACS Q&A: Recieving an Error when using the Package installer

When trying to use the Package installer to install a package from a local file directory for OpenACS 5.1.5 I recieve this message:

[31/Mar/2005:01:33:31][2195.98311][-conn:service0::3] Notice: The follow error occured during the uncompression process:

child process exited abnormally

[31/Mar/2005:01:33:31][2195.98311][-conn:service0::3] Error: Error loading APM file form url : child process exited abnormally child process exited abnormally while executing "exec [apm_gunzip_cmd] -q -c $file_path | [apm_tar_cmd] tf - 2>/dev/null"

Any ideas?

Sorry, running Mandrake Linux 9.2, linux kernel 2.4
Can you give us a little more info about the file you are trying to install?

Off the cuff, you might want to check permissions inside oacs root dir, particularly the folder called apm-workspace. Make sure the user you are running the server as can write to that directory.

Tried your suggestion, but No change. Seems the issue is with the apm_gunzip_cmd in the /var/lib/aolserver/valhalla/packages/acs-tcl/tcl/apm-file-procs.tcl
file. I think it is an issue with the switches (-q -c) but tried adding the -S (suffix switch with .apm), but still error with this line:

"exec [apm_gunzip_cmd] -q -c $file_path | [apm_tar_cmd] tf - 2>/dev/null"

The file I'm installing is a custom package.
Well, people use this functionality without trouble via the apm repository every day and the files generated by the repository are .apm files. I don't think it's a problem with the procs or the switches. If it's not a permissions problem with the apm-workspace directory, I would suspect that there something different about the way you are building your .apm files. They should be zipped tar archives. How are you creating the files?
I generated a distribution file from a custom package's options page, on a different openacs server, and I am now trying to install this custom package on a different openacs server . I think the package is coming from an OPenACS 4.6.3, and I am now tring to install it on a OpenACS 5.1.5.
The distribution file generated is an .apm file that is a tar file, which i can unzip from the commnad line with gunzip. What I'm attempting to do is see how well the Pakcge installer handles this custom packages distribution file.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Michael, it might be looking for unzip in the wrong location, perhaps?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Maybe Jade is on to something.

Is gzunzip in the AOLserver user's path?

Sound like it is worth exploring. What is the best way to check if gunzip is in the AOlserver user's path?
I checked the path of the aolserver's user path, and gunzip is in the path.