Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to End users network

Collapse
Posted by David Geilhufe on
I think Bill Dale represents a "silent minority" in the OACS community that is far more end-user focused. This is the group that will consume packages developed for OACS by either adopting existing packages or commissioning the creation of packages.

Don points out that the target audience for the OACS community is more the developers, not the application-consumers that I reference above. While OACS is in Alpha/Beta, this is more than appropriate. BUT it is up to all of us non-developers out there to start creating our own spaces in the OACS community.

The only current place to start, I think are the beginner documentation: install guide, getting started guide, perhaps problem sets, etc. Once the new OACS site is up and running there will be an opportunity to start new forums, workspaces, and sub-communities.

But for the moment, I think us non-developers should do the brain-storming that prepares us to do the work once the platform becomes more stable.

Having said that, these are the immediate deliverables that I'm interested/willing to work on:
1. Beginners install guide (idiot proof from a clean box)
2. Getting started guide (something useful/usable/basic step-by-step after a clean install)

After the new site is up:
1. Assembling vertical installs of OACS "applications" (e.g. a rpm of the OACS web-site, an rpm of .LRN, etc)
1a. Assembling the community space for people to post/ download/ rate different vertical installations (at the very least, the same thing as aD had for downloading packages)
2. Working with all the existing vendors (Musea, OpenForce, Furfly, etc.) to get stuff they have done under GPL avaliable to the community as OACS applications (i.e. useful out of the box).

There is probably lots more... what interests other people out there?