Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to End users network

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Another dumb question...<p>

ACS 4 is not yet a production ready system. This is not problem, but I think many new ACS users would benefit from a simple adjustment. At the moment the portal function  (in 2.25) has no real value. However, from an educational point of view it could be used to allow non tcl savy people to create something usefull. We have now been using the intranet in the same fashion, but that still means we need the experience of the system manager. If all modules would be preloaded in the portal, instead of the 5 or 6 available right now, potential customers would have more tools to play with. BTW, I also noticed not all ACS mnodules are available from the admin function (e-commerce, photodb, and submodules to e-commerce taht could be used for other than e-commerce applications. ( mailing lists for example)

The portal concept as such is not realy usefull in acs 2.25. I do understand the idea, but as potential client It's unlikely I will be using it as a portal. But I am sure this simple adjustment would be helpfull for commercial customers to get a feeling of the system.

The bottom line, why not use the portal as a tool to let clients play around with the tools, without them having to bother their system administrator to activate modules?