Forum OpenACS Development: Moving Forums to Different Forum instances

HI all. I developed a functionality which will move a forum to different forum instances.

The Functionality is I put a link to a search-forums page in the forum-view ,which allows the user to search for forum instances in the system. and displaying the results using list builder. User will have a choice to select whichever the instances he would to like to move his forum to, By clicking the corresponding "Move to The forum" link The forum will be moved to another instance.

How i did is., I changed the packagae_id in forums_forums table to reflect the new instance package_id..By which the moved forum will be mapped to the target forum instance..

also changed context (permissions) of the forum to reflect the target forum instance permissions..
And removed all the notification requests for the forum and messages in it, so that users will have to subscribe to the forum again in the new instance.

Is this method is proper way to do the things..?? please help

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This sounds fair and well. What I'm wondering though, why remove the notifications? At least removing the notifications should be optional (es well as removing / changing the context / permissions). Either way, this is of great value to .LRN and I hope you'll share the code.
Collapse
Posted by SriHarsha Chintalapani on
Thanks Malte for quick reply , I implemented making notification removal as an option.

I uploaded files as tar.gz in openacs.org/storage/Miscellaneous/moveforums.tar.gz

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi SriHarsha, would it be possible for you to make a patch against the current oacs-5-1 release so we can easily apply it. You could upload it to the bug-tracker.

I hope this is not asking too much, but it will take considerably longer to put this into OpenACS unless we have the CVS DIFF generated patch.