Forum OpenACS Development: Response to OACS content repository services

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on

Don: I get the impression from your response that the answer to my original question, "Does the OACS content repository represent one permutation of services that a developer might want, or _all_ services a developer would want in a general repository of site content?", is the latter. In other words, whenever I want a couple of the services for my content, I get all of them and simply don't use the rest.

From this point of view, all site content should be in the OACS CR and should simply not use the services that are not appropriate for that content. If the OACS CR meets it's design goals then this shouldn't be a significant overhead.

Stephen: You seem to imply the alternative. If the OACS CR doesn't depend on workflow, and could be made independent of categories, folders, etc then the OACS CR reduces to a versioning service. If all of these services have become distinct, each module would then choose the appropriate combination of services for its content.

From this point of view, the OACS CR as it currently stands is just one way of combining the various services that are relevant to Karl's CMS and various other packages. Consequently, content for other packages (bboards, general comments, etc) should not be stored in the current OACS CR.

Which direction is OACS heading at the moment?