Forum OpenACS Development: Response to groups and group_types massively messed up.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

From what I can tell, groups can only have one group_type. Why isn't there a group_type column in the groups table? The group_types.group_type column references the acs_objects.object_type column, but there are many, I would say most objects are not group types. If the group_types table had an integer primary key column referencing acs_objects.object_id, with an object_type of group_type, it would be obvious and easy to extract this information. The number of columns in the group_types table would be the same, and the join column would be an integer.

I should ask why it is setup the way it currently is, there may be a good reason, and I would love to discover what it is.

Joining with the acs_objects table could be alright, but the join required to extract the information I want seems to require joining with several additional views. Maybe I should just ask: is this good? It might be. This reminds me more of a joke about a guy going into his bank to get some of his money. The banker said "You can't have any of you money, because you have what we call an 'You can't have any of your money' account."