Forum .LRN Q&A: Permissions

Collapse
Posted by Mário Olímpio de Menezes on
Hi,

I'm trying to set a .LRN environment as user friendly as possible. I'm doing this on my machine (Debian testing).

One problem I could not solve is permissions:

- I've installed Webblog (Lars Blogger) and nobody but the administrator (and only using the administrative interface) can post new entries; how can I grant permissions to registered users to post (read,write,delete,etc) entries?
- I already tried to do this in the OpenACS admin interface: Main Site Members, Registered .LRN Non-Guests and Registered Users have Read, Create, Write permissions granted.

Any help (a doc or tutorial is better)

Thanks,
Collapse
2: Re: Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
You need to grant "create" permissions on the package using the Change permissions link from the weblog administration page.

In general, in well designed packages, Create is the permission to add new items, and write is used for editing existing items.

Collapse
3: Re: Permissions (response to 2)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick answer; I'have this on Webblogger Permissions (Permissions for Lars Blogger):

-----------------------------------------
Inherited Permissions

* Admins of Modelagem Computacional com Software Livre Aplicados à Área Nuclear, admin
* dotlrn-admin, admin
* Registered .LRN Non-Guests, read_private_data
* Mário Olímpio de Menezes, admin
* Members of Modelagem Computacional com Software Livre Aplicados à Área Nuclear, read
* Members of Modelagem Computacional com Software Livre Aplicados à Área Nuclear, write
* Members of Modelagem Computacional com Software Livre Aplicados à Área Nuclear, create

-----------------------------------------

As I can see, Members of Modelagem ..., can read, write and create.

Isn't this enough?

Thanks

Collapse
4: Re: Permissions (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
It should work.

What exactly is the problem? That is, what behavior did you expect, and what happened that you did not expect?

It looks like the permissions are ok.

Collapse
5: Re: Permissions (response to 4)
I've three accounts on my .LRN: one is admin, one is teacher and another is student.

when logged in as student (and being member of a class/community) I go to the Blog portlet and could not see a way to post a new entry. The same happen if I'm logged in as a teacher, even though as a teacher I've admin privileges.

I would expect that once members of a class or community have being granted create,read and write permissions they would be able to post new entries in .LRN.

Maybe I'm missing something important here.

What is the process of adding new users (students, teachers) to a new .LRN site (it's a experimental site - only me)?

Of course, I'm using different (valid) email addresses.

Thanks again