Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Ns_Pool: invalid block

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
<blockquote>> Jan 25 16:50:05 www logger: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
</blockquote>
^^^^^^^

The above you will see anytime a client drops the connection.  Fire up
psql then kill it with a kill -11 or a kill -9 and you will get the
same error message.

<blockquote> Jan 25 16:50:11 www logger: Server process (pid 1476) exited with status 139
</blockquote>

You should look up what status 139 means.  I think it means "core dump".  If it saved a core dump file, usually named either "core" or "postmaster.core", and usually in the directory where you started either the AOLServer or the home directory of postgres, then you may be able to load it up under gdb and get a stack trace.  Which may or may not be useful.

You should run ipcclean to clean up the shared memory segments.  I have found sometimes that it is a good idea to reboot to ensure that shared memory is truly cleaned up.

You don't mention which OS, but I am guessing Linux.  Here are the things I would do:

1.  run mprime in torture test mode - get it from www.mersenne.org.  It heavily tests your RAM and CPU, and if it runs fine your RAM is ok.  You can run mprime while everything else is running.

2.  Have you upgraded any of the shared libraries, like glibc, that Postgres or AOLserver are dynamically linked to?  If so, you should recompile, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to a directory that has the original libraries you compiled against.

3.  Run "vacuum verbose analyze" a few times in succession.  Then use pg_dump to dump the entire database and re-import it into a different database name.  Does it import cleanly?  If so, make a new nsd.tcl config file, changing only the name of the db to connect to.  Stop AOLserver, then restart it with the new nsd.tcl so that it uses the new db.  What happens then?

My guess:  you either upgraded your libraries, or you need to upgrade your libraries.  Sometimes different versions of the thread library will work better than other versions.