Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to server side document to .pdf conversion

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
This is part of the Link that David posted. It looks to be close to my solution:
<br><br>

<i>"PDF Creation
<br><br>
Unfortunately I have not been able to get OpenOffice's print-to-PDF option to work for as long as I have been using it. In the meantime, the absolutely excellent KDE printing architecture (see below) allows one to print to a PDF. So, we simply print to a Postscript (.ps) file, click on that to open it in KGhostView, and then click "Print" and choose "Print to PDF." Voila, you have a gorgeous PDF.
<br><br>
Prior to the KDE print architecture, we used createpdf.adobe.com . For $10/month you get to create an unlimited number of PDFs from many file formats, including Postscript (which all UNIX apps with printing capability can export). It also converts .doc and .xls files as well, so it's just as useful for those who us MS Office but would like to produce open, professional looking documents for export to your customers or business partners."
</i>
<br><br>

Adobe's createpdf.adobe.com has actually everything that I would need: You can upload a file in almost any format, choose the appropriate security options (in my case: password), and let them send it to you via email, link or download in browser...
<br><br>
It would be nice if I could automize this procedure, but I doubt it will work... (haven't checked the Terms of Use either) It would be great if my server could log into Adobe's service, convert the file and receive the pdf automatically? Any suggestions?
<br><br>
Does anyone have experience with converting a document on KDE and KGhostView how it is descibed in the first part?
<br><br>
Thanks