Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Status update ... will there ever be a beta or final release?

(B) "Search stuff to finish off" refers to different ways of searching content. For example searching only content items of a specific package or mime type. Unfortunately, I won't be able to finish these improvements until after our first release. The search package already supports indexing/searching of content other than notes. However, to be able to do so requires that other package maintainers implement FtsContentProvider for their packages. Please have in mind that I had planned these improvements for our *second* release cycle which for better or worse I hoped that it would happen February 2002.

(A) This was indeed a deliberate design feature of the package that would enable us to cope with different versions of openfts. We could have copied the tcl files in our package but we didn't know at the time, *August* IIRC, how often openfts would be updated. Meanwhile, tsearch was released as a contrib module for PG and I had planned to provide an alternative driver that would be easier to install but then again tsearch depends on 7.2 features and as you might know already openacs does not work with 7.2 yet due to the fact that we relied on a "bug" for making porting from oracle easier.