Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: documentation

Collapse
6: Re: documentation (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Taylor on
agreed.

installation issues are being dealt with as we move forward. there are a few rpm installers, a windows installer, a debian dotlrn installer and i'm trying to find time to package up plane jane oacs for debian.

from there, perhaps metainstallers will be needed like the ones for lamp that install mysql, php, apache and autoconfig. i can do this easily for debia (will take quite a bit of time), perhaps that can be looked at down the line.

the instructions are excellent and detailed, however, recently when i had to learn to install oacs on debian, i found a couple of issues:

a) no big picture overview of whats going on. the instructions are really quite great and detailed, some intro for people moving over would be nice.

b) different platforms put things in different places. an overview should have some notes on this, perhaps we should add more platform specific notation throughout the instructions to make sure newbs don't haveto reverse engineer how the instructions relate to their platform.

these aren't things i consider show stoppers, those that want to can hack away at it and succeed. some polishing could be helpfull i think.

as well i would like to mention that this discussion is not proposing any majour changes at all - i would like a collaborative approach and approach that simply builds on what we have already.

as an xtension to this, I have teamed up with a member from the #oacs irc channel to start looking at this indepth. I don't know his real account here but introductions will be made later. thus far we have agreed that he takes the lead for this effort and I will back him up as much as I can simply because I am so inexperienced with oacs and he has been around it for a while.

the consensus so far is that there is no objection to the documentation work that needs to be done, people seem to have some will to do it, what is needed is someone to help organize and structure the documentation and then start building from there.

i'm excited about oacs, but if i don't help get the documenation in shape i have no hope of learning it profficiently, there are far too many details that are missing and require the developer to reverse engineer the knowledge as they progress.

thank you for the comments, any input will help and is greatly appreciated!!!

anyone else have anything to share? your own personal experiences? how did everyone here manage to learn oacs and what difficulties have you had to overcome.