Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Mail Tracking

Collapse
9: Re: Mail Tracking (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
<h3>Spam</h3>

The spam package is depending on the deprecated acs-content package that has no tcl API or www pages and was designed to support site-wide search. Since Dirk, Dave and Co. are working on a new one I simply removed that dependency to install it. Spam is from ACS 4 times and does not use acs templating. It is also not i18-nized.

The package uses the acs-mail package to send out emails and is a singleton. Applications use this package by passing an object_id and a sql_query similar to bulk mail which returns a list of party_ids. For security reasons the two variables are set using ad_set_client_property. This package is similar to bulk mail. While bulk-mail offers a proc to create a mail this package is UI driven. You add a link and spam takes care of the rest.

Some problems I had testing this package:

• spam-form-body.adp requires a noquote for date_widget and time_widget
  • The stored procedure spam__new uses a non-existent acs_mail_body__new function so I was not able to test this.

Messages are stored in the tables acs_messages and spam_messages. The scheduled proc spam_sweeper inserts approved messages into the acs_mail_queue_outgoing - acs-mail takes care of the rest.

Since bulk mail supports most of what this package does my suggestion is to add extend bulk mail with the UI stuff spam has and deprecate the spam package.

Any comments?